Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pain

Today marks my first 60+ mile ride since sometime in 2002. – Yup, 60.67 miles of semi hilly, hot fun on La Machina. The temps today were moderate compared to yesterday’s inferno, but still damn hot. While I used to do 60-70 milers with some regularity when I lived in the Bay Area, this one was a bitch. The first 30ish miles weren’t bad since we had a mild tailwind and the temps were cool, but heading home – damn that was tough! My friend Joe, who did the ride with me, called the weather Houston hot (he should know, he grew up there).

As I sit, tired and a tad bit sore in my comfy chair in my air-conditioned office, blogging away, I am thankful for a few things:

  • Home: Its air conditioned, contains food, water, a soft carpet/couch/bed to lie on, and is generally more hospitable to my body than a bike bouncing across bumpy rural roads.
  • My comfy office chair. While my saddle is fairly comfortable, my cheeks are much happier in a chair that has more than 10 square inches of surface area..
  • Air conditioning. Yup, its flipping nice not to be sweating my ass off out on some road in the middle of rural Kansas.
  • Food. As much as I love Perpetumm, I like my wife’s flourless chocolate cookies better.
  • My wifey: She makes said cookies and is concerned for my welfare when I’m out on the roads.
  • My pooch. Cooper makes a great pillow. Ok, so I have to return the favor by letting him lick the salt off my legs, but hey, it’s a good compromise.

Next up: 65 miles. I get a reprieve next weekend since we’re on vacation, but let’s hope that the weather is nice for my next long ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment