La Machina: (Italian: La Maa-Keen-Ah). Slang for an auto, bicycle or any other mechanical device that goes fast and transports something or someone from place to place.
My nickname for my bike is La Machina. Nope, it’s not a Pinarello, a Bianchi or any other piece of finely crafted Italian engineering. It wasn’t even built by a guy named Paulo or Guido. Realistically it was probably built by a guy named Bill in
La Machina is a Trek 2200 road bike, vintage approx 1999. What’s really cool about it is that it’s a carbon fiber/aluminum hybrid. It’s incredibly light, stiff, but fairly forgiving on rough roads. With a 16 speed Italian transmission and a 220 lb Swiss engine, it moves quietly (well most days) and provides me with a really cool ride.
The bike has a really cool story: When I was looking for a bike back in 2001, I did a lot of shopping. Finding a bike for a dude that’s 6’3’ isn’t the easiest thing in the world - not a whole lot of variety and almost no end of season closeouts. Getting a 62 cm bike can sometimes even be a special order item. Translation: Expensive. Undeterred, I start checking the web. Not much luck here – I guess all the abnormally huge cyclists are holding onto their wheels. In desperation I put a post on Craigslist. Wanted: 62cm road bike, but be no older than 2 years old. Contact me with details” Of course I get a slew of responses of people trying to get rid of their kids Huffy or their dad’s 1975 schwinn Varsity, but in that mix I get a response from a lady in SF. “I’ve got a bike for you. It belonged to my cheating POS Ex. I want it out of my house”. I pay a visit to her and she pulls the bike of the closet. “He was 6’4”. Want to take it out for a ride?” I spy the bike, salivating, but trying not to let her see my drool. “Sure”. I take it for a spin around the block. “ Damn, nice bike!” Sure it could use a good dusting and a tune, but a sweet ride! I pull up to her on the sidewalk. “Like it?” She says. “Um, it is a nice bike, but it needs a lot of work”, I sheepishly say trying to begin the negotiation process. “Well do you want it? I just want to get all of his shit out of my house.” Yes – how much do you want for it? I don’t know – how about $300? I have no idea what its worth.” Feeling incredibly guilty I respond to her offer “How about this: I’ll give you $350 – those pedals on it are really nice.” DONE!. I give her the cash and hop in my truck with my steal in the bed. I drive off, looking in my rearview mirror halfway expecting to see some really pissed off dude wearing a towel from his mistress’ apartment chasing me down the street. Nope - No guy chasing me, but I made off like a bandit. Yup, I scored a $2500 bike for $350. I feel excellent and that bike is still with me today.

No comments:
Post a Comment